The London Fire Department’s (LFD) No. 2 company welcomed some very excited guests Tuesday morning (Oct. 29).
Grade 1 students Phillip Mzemba, Vigul Rabari and Carissa Matuschak, winners of the LFD Fire Prevention Week poster drawing contest, received a tour of No. 2 Fire Hall on Florence Street before a full firefighter breakfast and a ride to school in a fire truck.
The students attend Tweedsmuir, Ealing and Princess Elizabeth elementary schools, respectively.
The poster contest, like Fire Prevention Week, was themed around kitchen fires.
Each student drew a picture telling a story about how to prevent kitchen fires, the number one cause of residential fires in London and across Canada.
According to the LFD, many fire injuries and deaths are caused by:
• Unattended cooking and distractions
• Loose clothing and articles near the stove
• Children playing near the stove
• Attempting to extinguish a grease fire with water
• Attempting to cook while under the influence of alcohol.
Visit the LFD website, www.london.ca/residents/fire-department/pages/default.aspx, to learn more.