If you’re looking to retrofit your home, you won’t be able to look to the federal government for an up to $5,000 rebate anymore.
Earlier this week, Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver announced the ecoENERGY Retrofit – Homes program has stopped accepting new registrants. This is around two months before the planned end date.
While no one was available for an interview, a spokesperson from the ministry, Katie McDougald, said the program wasn’t terminated, but rather hit its goal of helping 250,000 homeowners.
“The ecoENERGY program has been enormously popular with Canadians,” she said in an email. “While we are no longer accepting new registrants, those registered are still eligible to receive grants.”
All registered homeowners must have their retrofit renovations completed by March 31 and have post-retrofit evaluations completed by June 30.
The program provided participants with up to $5,000 to make their homes more efficient. According to the Natural Resources Ministry, it was also expected to generate up to $4 billion in economic activity in the country and help homeowners save an average of 19 percent on their home energy use.
The homes retrofit program was a part of the federal government’s ecoENERGY Efficiency Initiatives. Earlier this week, Oliver announced an additional $117 million in funding over three years for the umbrella program that will improve energy efficiency through Canada’s building codes, new housing standards, industrial practices, vehicle labels and consumer appliances.
That investment, in addition to an initial $78 million investment announced last September, brought the five-year total for the initiatives to $195 million.
In total, $400 million was set aside for the efficiency initiatives program.