As temperatures plunge carbon monoxide calls soar
|
Bookmark and Share
Jan 16, 2015  |  Vote 0    0

As temperatures plunge carbon monoxide calls soar

Our London

In the past week, the London Fire Department (LFD) has responded to over two-dozen carbon monoxide-related calls as a deep freeze hangs over the city.

In many cases, carbon monoxide has been found inside of homes. A number of causes have been found, from broken or malfunctioning heating equipment, vents blocked by snow and ice, to people warming up their vehicles inside a garage or adjacent to a basement window.

While none of the cases involved toxic levels, the warning of carbon monoxide alarms quite possibly could have prevented long term harm.

In October 2014, the provincial government passed legislation requiring carbon monoxide alarms in all homes meeting certain criteria.

If a dwelling has any fuel burning appliances (natural gas furnaces and hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, etc.) or it has an attached garage, CO alarms are required to be installed just outside of any sleeping area.

In multi-family units with fuel burning appliances, alarms must be installed in service rooms and near sleeping areas in all dwelling units adjacent to them.

“Never take chances when it comes to the threat of carbon monoxide,” said Rick Jefferson, LFD public information coordinator. “If your alarm is sounding, immediately get everyone out to fresh air and call 911. Leave windows and doors sealed so that, if there is carbon monoxide present, firefighters should be able to detect and trace it to the source.”

 

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Latest Local News

PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More